Learning the Language of Trees
March 15 @ 9:00 am - 3:00 pm$75
Instructor: Dr. Neil Pederson
Tree rings provide precise annual and seasonal information on climate, ecology, and competition over several centuries. In this dendro-ecology workshop, participants will learn the methods that tree ring scientists use to learn the language of trees. By the end of the day, participants will learn how to interpret the information we get from tree rings over the long lives of trees and have experience coring a tree.
In this course we will:
• visit the forest at Floracliff Nature Sanctuary to discuss ecology, read the landscape history, and learn how to identify the external characteristics of old trees
• core representatives of a few key genera. Participants will later be exposed to the main wood anatomies of trees in the region of samples belonging to these genera.
• understand many of the things that can be interpreted from tree rings
• learn the laboratory techniques used to process cores
• conduct lab work to age the trees and interpret their stories
Neil Pederson’s research focuses on climate/forest dynamics and disturbance ecology. Neil earned his Ph.D. in forest ecology at Columbia University. He has been a forester, professor, and research professor before working at the Harvard Forest. Neil focuses on the ecology of temperate, mesic forests including the eastern U.S., Spain, East Asia, and the Colchic Temperate Rainforest in Turkey and the Republic of Georgia.
Refund Policy: Refunds are permitted for cancellations made at least two weeks in advance of the event. No refunds or transfers of fees will occur if the request is made less than two weeks prior to the event. To request a refund, email email@example.com.
Weather Policy: For the safety and enjoyment of our visitors, all programs are subject to cancellation due to inclement weather, including rain, wind, and severe weather warnings and advisories.
Refund Policy: Refunds are permitted for cancellations made at least two weeks in advance of the event.
No refunds or ticket transfers will occur if the request is made less than two weeks prior to the event.
To request a refund, email firstname.lastname@example.org.